On Tue, 2024-08-06 at 14:56 -0400, e...@gmx.us wrote:
> Also Grub gets a different video mode, maybe 24x80 instead of so tiny
> as to
> > > be nearly illegible.

You can change the grub fonts. I think the default is unicode.pf2,
which is usually too small to read on anything but VGA. I found
DejaVuSansMono*pf2 in various sizes. It's not part of my installation.
I don't remember whence I downloaded it. Look for pf2 fonts. For my
setup, 24 works best. Put the font file in /boot/grub/fonts (I don't
know whether this is necessary) and /usr/share/grub/. Then add

GRUB_FONT="/usr/share/grub/DejaVuSansMono24.pf2"

(or whatever font you like) to /etc/default/grub and run grub-update.

Maybe GRUB_FONT="/boot/grub/fonts/DejaVuSansMono24.pf2" would work; I
haven't tried it.