eben composed on 2024-08-06 17:16 (UTC-0400):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> eben composed on 2024-08-06 16:29 (UTC-0400):

>>> [    0.801515] ACPI: bus type drm_connector registered

>> He meant run the command with the GTX installed.

> Ah, my bad.  My tendency to be overly literal bites me in the butt again.
> That'll take some doing, as I don't have a non-X mail client.  Gimme a bit.

Email client shouldn't be relevant. You can redirect dmesg to a file, to copy or
pastebin any time.

>> Which i5 do you have? Recent ones could be faster than a 10 year old
>> GTX.

> It's not recent.  "head /proc/cpuinfo" says

> model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
> The speed's only as low as it is because the computer's pretty idle right now.

Before retiring the Intel, run glmark2 and note the score, to compare with the
GTX
once you get it working. It's the only GUI speed tester I use.

I don't see enough in your log excerpts. You should pastebinit the entire
command
output, if not the entirety of journal and dmesg, then provide the upload URLs.

I have an old NVidia booted here now. This is what using nouveau looks like at
the
kernel:
# lsmod | egrep 'veau|vid' | sort
button                 16384  1 nouveau
drm_display_helper    167936  1 nouveau
drm_exec               12288  1 nouveau
drm_gpuvm              20480  1 nouveau
drm_ttm_helper         12288  1 nouveau
gpu_sched              40960  1 nouveau
hwmon                  32768  1 nouveau
i2c_algo_bit           12288  1 nouveau
mxm_wmi                12288  1 nouveau
nouveau              2314240  1
ttm                    73728  2 drm_ttm_helper,nouveau
video                  65536  1 nouveau
wmi                    32768  3 video,mxm_wmi,nouveau
#
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata