On Wednesday, 07-08-2024 at 03:11 Eben King wrote:
> Hi, I got a new-to-me EVGA Nvidia GTX 970.  I understand the Nouveau driver
> handles this card.  Is this correct?

With Debian Bookworm, I had Nvidia GTX 970 and Nvidia GTX 960 cards working on
Nouveau, depending on what "working" means to you. The experience was limited,
so most of the time I ran Debian packaged Nvidia drivers, until recently
replacing it with Radeon RX 6600.

Using the Radeon RX 6600 allows people to install KDE ('out of the box', as the
phrase goes) and also run more games through Steam. Unless Nvidia support
greatly improves, I do not plan on using Nvidia GPUs. I should have been
implementing Radeon GPUs a long time ago. That's my view, for what it is worth.

George.