On Thu, 8 Aug 2024 10:57:22 -0700
cono...@panix.com (John Conover) wrote:

> Can a standard USB have sub directives?

A standard USB what? I shall assume you mean a block storage device,
such as a hard drive.

Sub directive? I shall assume you mean subdirectories.

The answer is, that depends on the file system. Modern FAT variants,
NTFS, Linux's file system, currently ext4, and others all allow
subirectories. Early versions of FAT did not, but I doubt you will find
any of those in the wild these days.

Another question is, how deep can you nest subdirectories? Again, that
depends on the file system. I doubt any modern file system has any
limit (other than room available) as subdirectories are often
stored as linked lists.

> I was doing some stress testing, and some sub directives had very long
> write latency's. (All less than 4GB.)

I doubt the problem is subdirectories. More likely something totally
extraneous to your tests was causing problems. I would eliminate that
possibility by running such tests in single user mode.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/