Hi,

Charles Curley wrote:
> I doubt the problem is subdirectories. More likely something totally
> extraneous to your tests was causing problems. I would eliminate that
> possibility by running such tests in single user mode.

Didn't Gene Heskett a while ago report about adventures with fake
USB sticks or SSDs which became slower and slower while approaching
their tiny real size limit ?
There was a test tool mentioned which unmasked the imposter in a few
seconds. Torturing my memory, search engines, and my old mailboxes i
think it was

  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/f3

somewhere in this thread:

Have a nice day :)