Steve Mayer wrote:

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:59:12AM -0600, Kent West wrote:

I need to run a test in a .bashrc startup script to see whether the machine the user is logging onto is a Solaris or a Linux box (the /home directory is shared between the two, and paths need to be modified according to which OS is being logged into).

Something like this:

if {the first word of "uname -a" is Linux}
then do something

Kent,

Just use `uname -s`. This will report back "Linux" on Linux and
"SunOS" on Solaris.

Because that would be way too easy :-)

Seriously, that solves my problem; thanks!

--
Kent