On 2026-09-30, Chris Green wrote: > I don't think setting /etc/hostname to the FQDN is correct as, if you do > that, then 'hostname' returns the FQDN and it should only return the > host's name without the domain.
Yes. > I already have the following in /etc/hosts:- > > 127.0.1.1 t16.zbmc.eu t16 > > but this doesn't seem to have the required effect. There is different opinions on /etc/hosts but I set 127.0.1.1 to localhost only and hostnames only on others IP. So something like this 127.0.1.1 localhost 192.168.x.x t16.zbmc.eu t16 If you have an IP apart 127.0.1.1 this could why it doesn't work. Also some programs could use other files. Mailers usually use /etc/mailname. > It can't be done in /etc/resolv.conf as this file is generated (in my > case by Network Manager). Is there a Network Manager setting that will > put the domain name in resolv.conf? /etc/resolv.conf contains a domain name used only to search DNS for short hostname (without domain)

