On Wed, 30 Sep 2026 16:32:00 +0100
Chris Green <[email protected]> wrote:


> I also want things like postfix to be able to find the domain. I
> discovered this issue when I found that postfix was using
> 'localdomain':-
> 
>     chris$ postmap -s /etc/aliases.db
>     postmap: fatal: open database /etc/aliases.db.db: No such file or
> directory chris$ postmap -s /etc/aliases
>     @       @
>     YP_LAST_MODIFIED        1786971981
>     YP_MASTER_NAME  q957.localdomain
>     postmaster      root
>     root    chris
>     chris$ 
> 

The network MTA (and other local workstation MTAs) are the primary
users of domain names, and I feel safer configuring them explicitly
rather than relying on other software which may or may not be working
correctly e.g. resolv.conf. For a network MTA, you need to be quite
sure the HELO/EHLO is a hostname with an A record in public DNS, and not
just something the MTA or Debian has guessed. It should be OK to use
/etc/mailname, as I don't think anything else will change this once
configured.

-- 
Joe

Reply via email to