On Wed, 30 Sep 2026 17:48:07 -0500
David Wright <[email protected]> wrote:

> 
> 
> I assume mutt (MUA) gets its HELO from /etc/hosts. I don't know
> whether having only a hostname in the HELO might cause problems with
> some email providers. Presumably so, in view of:
> 
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2026/09/msg00467.html
> 

Not if you're using an outside mail hosting service, that will use its
own HELO when passing on mail. I send and receive mail directly, at
least as long as little people are still allowed to do that. That's why
I'm fussy about my network MTA configuration, and prefer not to let
it depend on something else.

Normally a client HELO doesn't matter, as its server will generally
exempt its clients from meeting at least some of its validity tests
e.g. a client would not be expected to have a hostname resolvable in
public DNS, as an Internet mail server would.

-- 
Joe

Reply via email to