On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 10:18:26 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> I don't understand not having any domain name. Surely the hostname
> is a domain name in itself. I ran my network for years like that,
> and exim (as set up by Debian) would moan about the lack of a dot
> in /etc/mailname.
> 
> I only added .corp when I found that there was semi-official
> documentation for using that. I chose it in preference to .home
> and .mail merely because  grepping -r '\<corp\>' /etc  produced
> fewest false positives. Current false positives here are:
> 
>   home: 173     mail: 162     corp: 0
> 
> I haven't yet bothered to move to .home.arpa. Maybe sometime.

So, your *system* doesn't have or need a domain name -- only your MTA
needs one.

There are two common reasons why people want (or think they want) to
set up a "default domain name":

1) To reach other hosts on the network using short names.

2) To set up email.

For case 1, the proper place to set this is in the /etc/resolv.conf
file, which unfortunately in modern ages has been taken over by
software that thinks it knows better than you do, and will overwrite
your /etc/resolv.conf file any time it feels like doing so.

Steps to work around that are found at <https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf>.

For case 2, an MTA only wants a domain name for two reasons:

  a) So it knows how to introduce itself when it issues a HELO
     or EHLO command in SMTP (this is basically saying, "Hello, I am
     scooby.davidsdomain.com.").

  b) When you want to send mail to another user within your organization
     (e.g. you run something like "echo meeting is at 10:00 | mail stu"
     and you expect your MUA/MTA to expand "stu" to "[email protected]").

The proper places to set the HELO domain and the default recipient domain
are within the MTA's configuration.

Some MTAs cheat a little bit, by trying to derive one or both of
these domain names by looking at your non-mail-specific files, such as
/etc/hosts or /etc/resolv.conf.  I wouldn't depend on this.

Reply via email to