On 2/6/04 12:06 PM, "Michael L. Brownlow" wrote:

>> You have to consider who the majority of the people are and consider
>> that most things should be answered back to the list.  Therefore a
>> small extra action by the replyer if he wants to send it back to the
>> original sender is preferred so that the new user will correctly reply
>> back to the list.
>
> Really? Interesting. My intuition has always been that when I ``reply''
> to a message, it is replying to the sender who sent it (or his preferred
> address for replies to be read), not a forwarding mechanism or group.
> List-reply seemed to be a logical extension of email activity when I
> want to discuss the issue with the list, rather than just the sender.
>
> I think as a new user I would be more embarrassed if I ended up replying
> to a list with a message intended for the sender rather than to the
> sender with a message for the list (which he would receive anyway. :)
>
> I vote to keep it the way it is on the principle of least embarassment.

Really? Why make it a hassle for the user? We run Debian, but in a
hosting/DNS/Server environment. I am sure many others aren't using their
Debian as a desktop. We use Mac OS X for desktop, so when I reply, I have to
do reply all or I end of sending to the poster, which seems to irritate many
on the list.

Our sun list is set to first reply to the list, then you can reply all for
the poster, and since many use a different addy, some going into dev/null, I
am sure many post are never seen.

So is Debian not about accommodating the new user? Or is this strictly for
the good old boys?

Seems of late that there are more and more bash and flames then help coming
from the herd. It's to bad considering how excellent Debian is.

My 2 ¢
--
Thanks!!
David Thurman