Paul Johnson wrote:
I'm not big on enforcing smarthosts.  For one thing, my upstream
couldn't run a mail server if it's life depended on it.  So why
eliminate small but working sites from being able to mail, forcing
them to forward everything through broken sites?

Because the large upstream that can't do a decent job of running a smarthost also can't do a decent job of policing their network or shutting down spammers on their network. The blanket over the problem instead of attempt to be sensible about it. :/