stan wrote:

I'm fighting a rather strange problem that I trigered when I built a new
kernel. I've got a amchien that I was running gdm on, and loging in
through that I got a Gnome session. Now GDM crashes. But strangley enough startx does not (scratches head). IBut start starts a KDE session.

How can I make startx start a Gnome session?

Probably in your ~/.xinitrc you have something like

/usr/bin/startkde

You should comment that out (with a #) and add

/usr/bin/gnome-session

and you should be good to go. If it's not specified in that file, perhaps 'man startx' would get you started looking for other choices?

        good luck,
                ~c

-- That's one of the cool things about being a Catholic ... it's a multifaceted experience. If you lose the faith, chances are you'll keep the guilt, so it isn't as if you've been skunked altogether. -Stephanie Plum