Hallo,
>  js> You could ease up error detection by providing the complete /var/log/
>  js> XFree86.0.log and /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4).
>
>Good idea!
>
>The files are attached below.  I manually edited XF86Config-4 some, so
>I hope it isn't in too bad of shape!  ;-)

I'm not a XFree professional, but one thing looks strange:

>Section "Device"
>#      Identifier      "ATI Technologies Radeon 7500 [RV200 QW]"
>       Identifier      "Radeon"
>       Driver          "ati"
>       BusID           "PCI:1:0:0" <- this one
>#      Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
>EndSection

Have You tried to comment it out? As this one

(WW) ATI:  PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:0:0 could not be detected!

tells You, Your card was not found in the specified slot, not that there's no
card installed at all.

>    > /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/char/drm/radeon.o
>
>  js> This won't be solving Your problem, it's only related to the console
>  js> framebuffer device.
>
>I also tried the 'radeonfb' module, but same results.

Sorry, mixed something up. the module You tried to load is responsible for
direct rendering, that is in short the open source hardware 3D acceleration.
You won't need that to run X but will need it, if You're trying to get
hardware accelerated OpenGL.

radeonfb is the one responsible for the console, which is a possibility to get
more than the simple text 640*480 console (and should be already loaded if
You get the penguin logo at bootup). You won't need that one either (as long
as You stick to the ati XFree driver).

So try to comment out the BusID option.
Best regards,
   js