On 2004-03-25, Andreas Janssen penned:
> Hello

Hi!

> So far I have not seen any hostility towards women because they were
> female (at least on the mailing lists and in the usenet groups I
> read).  I have however seen that in some cases people (newbies) who
> use women's names (mostly you don't know if the name is faked or not)
> receive polite answers from the mostly male participants where a male
> newbie would only have received a "Search the fscking archive/web". In
> some places (like the SelfHTML forum, http://selfforum.teamone.de)
> this beahviour has even repeatedly been subject to very long and
> sometimes heated discussions.

I searched on "weib" on that forum (thinking that "weiblich" would get a
few hits, but got

"Die Suchanfrage kann momentan nicht entgegen genommen werden. Alle
Ressourcen sind belegt. Bitte versuchen Sie es in einigen Minuten noch
einmal."

Any ideas on better searches that I could try in a few minutes?  My
German can be a bit flakey.

I know that a ton of males playing persistent online games (evercrack,
uo, etc) will play female characters just to take advantage of the
bizarre male habit of giving gifts to any pixellated form with breasts.
I wonder if something similar is happening here -- guys post to
technical forums masquerading as women in a purely selfish move to get
better assistance.  People see these posts and find that "women" tend to
post more basic questions than men.

Just a thought.  I went out of my way in EQ not to accept gifts, at
least, not from strangers or people who seemed to have questionable
motives.  Maybe I should have taken advantage of the "pixels with
breasts" phenomenon, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

--
monique