Katipo wrote:
martin f krafft wrote:

I am a huge fan of AMD, not only because their processors are
cheaper.

Recently, however, I have experienced random crashes on two machines
that run AMDs. The crashes seem to be related to IO and happen
usually when there is a lot of disk activity. The disks themselves
are fine, though, and also the controller appears without problems.

Thus I am logically considering chipset and processor. I can hardly
imagine that this is a problem with AMD, but I would like to know
from you success and failure stories of AMD processors and Linux.

Thanks,

I have been running a 1GHz Athlon for two years,
in an area where summer temperatures will reach 45+ degrees celsius.
At one time fins broke of the cooling fan and it still kept running.
It has never faltered.
I'm building a dual processor rig at the moment with two MP 2000+s.
Not that I think there is anything wrong with Intel. How could I?
I've never had any experience of them.
But when you're on a good thing, stick with it.
Regards,

David.

In the lab I admin, we had an AMD 1800+ on a GigaByte mobo. The piece of plastic that held the fan clip (on the side of the socket) broke, causing the fan to fall clean away. The proc burned up and toasted the mobo in a matter of a few minutes. This wis in a room with an ambient temp of 20 C (68 F). I guess it depends on your luck.

-Roberto Sanchez