Antony Gelberg wrote:
On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:17:08PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

There are current known issues with nForce2/AMD combo.  It
has to do with a race condition during the C1 disconnect.
The solution is to disable APIC, either in the kernel config
or by passing apic=off (or noapic, I can't remember) on the
kernel command line.  Ever since finding out that little gem
(and swithcing to 2.6 kernel) my machine has been rock solid
stable.  I can throw anything at it, and not a single lock up.

Just to throw some weight behind this, this solution has worked for me
on several Athlon / nForce servers I've built.  I just removed APIC from
the kernel completely.

Just out of curiosity, how does removing APIC support (or disabling it in the BIOS) affect performance? What does an APIC do on a single processor machine? I understand the point in an SMP setup, but not in single processor.

-Roberto Sanchez