On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Kevin Mark wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:22:11AM +0200, Tom Peters wrote:
> > Following the HOWTO's I try to mount my digital USB camera in the
> > following way:
> >
> > sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /camera
> > mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

> > This works with kernels up to 2.4.19, but I don't get it working with
> > later 2.4 kernels.  What is wrong?

> Hi never rely on it always being /dev/sda1. I check /var/log/message
> (maybe use 'tail -f /var/log/messages' in an xterm before you insert the
> camera) and then see what IT says about your usb storage device.
> -Kev

Thanx for the suggestion.  It says:
Apr 22 23:01:31 tompth kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned
address 3

I don't get the proper name for the valid device from that.
If I am not misguided by the manuals, there is a vfat filesystem on the
memory card, and we are supposed to use the ide-scsi driver, so access it
as a SCSI disk.  As I said, that is how it works up to the 2.4.19 kernel I
have.  But with my newer kernels whatever SCSI disk device I try, I always
get this type of error message (mount: /dev/sdx# is not a valid block device).

Any suggestions?
--

        Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters