First, heres a definition of a rough proposal I've used in examples below, which I've called, for want of a better name, Considered CSSD (CCSSD). Its a clean up and patch of a similar earlier proposal.

- A defeats B if more votes prefer A over B than B prefer over A.
- A challenges B if more than or an equal number of votes prefer A over B than prefer B over A.

- A defeats B by X, where X is equal to the difference between the number of votes that prefer A over B and the number of votes that prefer B over A, if A defeats B.

- A superchalleges B, where A has a supermajority requirement of (X:Y) if the number of votes that prefer A over B multiplied by Y is greater than or equal to the number of votes that prefer B over A multiplied by X.

- A is considered if A superchallenges all options with supermajority requirements less than A.
- A is considered if A challenges B, where B has supermajority requirements greater than or equal to A.

- A has a beatpath to B of strength X, if A and B are considered and A defeats B by X, or if A, B and C are considered and A defeats C by Y and C has a beatpath to B of strength Z, where X is equal to the minimum of Y and Z.

- A has a beatpath to B of strength 0 if there is no non-zero X such that A has a beatpath to B of strength X.

- A has a beatpath win to B if the largest X such that A has a beatpath to B of X is greater than the largest Y such that B has a beatpath to A of Y.

- A is a finalist if A is considered and there is no B such that B has a beatpath win to A.

- A is a winner if A is a finalist and there is no B such that the casting vote prefers B over A.

I've pieced together an implimentation in Haskell, if anyones interested. I don't know how badly its broken though.

Anyway, heres the results of CCSSD compared to the draft, sprinkled with objectiveness then smothered in opinion.

---

Raul Miller wrote:

A requires 2:1 majority; D is the default option
3 ABD
1 BDA
1 DAB

D defeats A 4:3
A defeats B 4:1
B defeats D 4:1

eliminate 4:1

D defeats A 4:3

tie between B and D

CCSSD: B wins.

Here, the B voters are penalised for being sincere. The B voters as a whole prefer A over B, and being sincere voters, propose A and vote sincirely for it. If the B voters were insincere, by voting B over A, they would of recieved a more preferable result.

In my opinion, if a supermajority option X does not win, then the winner should be the condorcet winner of the non-supermajority options or a supermajority option which is not X, unless supermajority option X is involved in a cycle involving at least one other supermajority option and one other non-supermajority option.

That principle seems to stop the supermajority option spoiling in this case, I'm not sure about others.

Raul Miller wrote:

A requires 2:1 majority; D is the default option
60 ABD
30 BAD
10 DBA

B defeats D 90:10
A defeats D 90:20
A defeats B 60:40

A wins

CCSSD: B Wins

This is more a matter of opinion on my behalf, but I think in this case, A should have to superdefeat both B and D to be declared winner. To take a hypothetical example, let