On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 01:46:09AM +0100, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:
> I'm not ready to say something new on GFDL. If Debian majority will
> decide it doesn't satisfy SC and DFSG, it will go to non-free. If Debian
> majority will decide to drop non-free, GFDL documentation will be droped
> together with it. My opinion is that DFSG and SC are not clear enough on
> this question and have to be changed before *any* decision is done.

Well, except I'm in the process of writing a proposal for the
consideration of that majority, so I need to talk about such issues even
if you're not ready to.

> > We're not talking about DFPG (Debian Free Program Guidelines).  We are
> > talking about DFSG (Debian Free Software Guidelines).  And I think we
> > should be talking about software, rather than programs, for much the
> > same reasons that we can use code as data and data as code.

> You probably know, there is no stable definition of this word.

Which word?  "Free" (that's what the DFSG is for), "Program" (yes,
I agree), "Software" (I don't see any relevant instabilities).

>From your next sentence, I'll assume "Software".

> I've checked several dictionaries and find out that some of them define
> software as program+data, some of them use program+data+docs, some of
> them insist on software == program. That's why I prefer not to use this
> word in this discussion. I think best thing with new SC will be to avoid
> it, or to define it clearly.

Software is all of what we distribute.

Otherwise, there would be no point to our free software guidelines.

--
Raul