Hello,

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 02:45:30PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Ugh, that's an overcomplicated example. Here's a simpler one:
Did you read it carefully?

> Three options, A, B and D (the default option). Quorum is 10. Votes are:
>
>       9 ABD
>       4 BDA
>
> A defeauts B, 9:4; B defeats D, 13:0, A defeats D, 9:4. A is dropped because
> of quorum, B wins. One more person votes:
>
>       9 ABD
>       4 BDA
>       1 BAD
>
> A defeats B, 9:5; B defeats D, 14:0, A defeats D, 10:4. A isn't dropped,
> and wins. Voting "for" B, thus causes A to win.
The effect in my example is different, and in my oppinion
much more of a problem.  In short:

Your example: An option looses, because it fails quorum

My example: The winner among the interesting options changes
    because an uninteresting option fails quorum.

> And, as I've already posted elsewhere, you'll note there's no problem
> at all here if number of votes received is twice the quorum, which,
> historically, it almost always is.
This it true.  But then there there is some tradition of getting
things right :-)

Jochen
--
                                         Omm