Hello,

On Wed 03 Apr 2019 at 12:51PM +01, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Stefano Zacchiroli writes ("Re: Bikeshedding"):
>> Statement: every Debian package must be maintained in Git on salsa and
>> every Debian Developer with upload rights to the archive should have
>> commit/push right to every packaging repository on salsa.
>>
>> DPL candidates: do you agree with this statement?
>> If so, what will be your approach to make this a reality?
>
> What git tree format do you mandate ?
>
> Such an imprecation is of little use if "maintained in git on salsa"
> means for some packages a giant packaging-only monorepo (like used by
> some language-specific packaging teams), for some a git-debrebase or
> git-dpm patches-applied tree, for some a merging git branch for use
> with 1.0-with-diff, and for some a gbp pq branch.

Yes.  The amount of effort that we would need to expend on implementing
zack's Statement seems out of proportion to the benefit, given that it
mandates no particular git workflow.

> Another answer to this is:
>
> The git server you are asking about already exists.  It is called
> `dgit.debian.org', not `salsa.debian.org'.
>
> It has the following properties:
>
> [...]
>
> So real answer is: everyone should consider `dgit push' and most
> people should be using it.  It should be recommended in policy.

What's so nice about this is that it doesn't require anyone to
fundamentally change their git workflows (with the exceptions of people
who have only debian/ in their packaging repo (and Ian has experimental
patches for that case), and team monorepos).

You can incorporate `dgit push-source` into existing workflows and
achieve what (I think) zack and others want.  See dgit-maint-gbp(1) etc.

--
Sean Whitton