Luca Boccassi writes ("Re: [RFC] General Resolution to deploy tag2upload"):
> And I think it is very much relevant, given the obvious end goal of
> some individuals is to kill Salsa, which this proposal - as it stands
> - would facilitate.

Gosh.  Are you serious?

For the avoidance of doubt: I'm a fan of gitlab and of Salsa.
I don't want it killed.

I think tag2upload would make it harder for Salsa's enemies to kill
it [1], since t2u will be popular and you can't use t2u without having
your project on Salsa. [2]  So it might increase adoption of Salsa and
will certainly increase reliance on it.

Ian.

[1] Supposing for the sake of argument that Salsa has enemies who want
to kill it.

[2] tag2upload's design is compatible with there being multiple forge
instances, where the upload instruction tag could be pushed.[3]  But
we're not contemplating supporting any other instances.

[3] For the avoidance of doubt: for these purposes, the *.dgit.d.o git
server is *not* a forge.  The t2u design is not compatible with using
git.dgit.d.o as the place the maintainer pushes the upload instruction
tag.  For t2u, git.dgit.d.o must be only an output.

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.