I very much hope that you're feeling better!  And once again I really
appreciate your messages in this discussion.  I think they have been very
helpful in clarifying the FTP team position.

Joerg Jaspert <jo...@debian.org> writes:
> On 17263 March 1977, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> What signed artifact do I need to provide so that the FTP team will be
>> comfortable accepting my tag2upload-built source package?

[...]

> I do like that workflow. The one magic part seems to be the thing that
> creates debian/patches files out of your git tree. As soon as that step
> is done, I think everything should be there that makes up the thing that
> gets uploaded?

> But I bet there are other ways to work that make it less trivial magic
> than what you seem to have.

> To answer your question from above: At the point the magic is done,
> anything that lists the files and checksums of (ignore metadata like
> file timestamps) that will appear when one unpacks the source package.

Okay, I think we have identified the point of irreconcilable difference.
So, to make sure, let me repeat what I understand of both positions and
make sure that I have this right, and also why I think it's
irreconcilable.

My understanding of the FTP team position is that the uploader must
generate and sign either the final source package, or the files that
constitute the unpacked view of the final source package, or a trivial
variation thereof, and include that signature in the upload.  If the
uploader does not sign the final contents of the source package, then no
matter what else they sign and no matter where else the source package is
created, the FTP team will not accept the package into the archive.  It is
fine for tag2upload to build the source package and to upload things to
dak for the uploader, but the uploader must provide a signed attestation
of the final generated contents of the source package as well.

My understanding of the tag2upload developer position is that this
requirement prohibits the goal of tag2upload.  People who want to build
the source package locally can already use the same algorithm today;
that's what dgit is.  The whole point of the tag2upload project is to
remove the requirement that the package uploader install dgit or
equivalent software locally and build the source package locally.  This
FTP team requirement therefore makes it impossible for tag2upload to
proceed; any system that would have the required property would fail to
accomplish the core goal of the tag2upload project.  Therefore, this
delegate decision is blocking the deployment of tag2upload.

I am seeing in this discussion a lot of confusion and bafflement on both
sides over why the other side cares about the things that they do and
considers essential the things that they consider essential.  This is
sometimes how it works in life; people care about different things and
come to different conclusions and find each other's arguments
unpersuasive.

There are other points of disagreement that could potentially be hashed
out, but this point of disagreement is fundamental and, so far as I can
tell from the discussion (both now and in 2019), irreconcilable.

Therefore, we have a situation where a delegate decision is blocking
deployment of something that a different team wants to deploy in Debian.
Assuming no one changes their positions, the clear options the tag2upload
developers have under the project constitution are to abandon the work or
to appeal the delegate decision to the project via a GR.

Does anyone think I've missed anything?

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>