Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com> writes:

> I think that can work both ways.  I am old enough to have seen many
> instances of some new hotness coming along and any objection to it being
> swept aside because it was clear that the people objecting just didn't
> understand why the new hotness was so wonderful and why their concerns
> didn't matter anymore.  My experience has been that when those concerns
> have been ignored (they usually are), things often don't end well.

I'm not quite sure how to phrase this (mostly because I want to use much
stronger language), but I find the belief that what we have just done over
the past week and a half somehow constitutes ignoring concerns to be
rather remarkable.

A whole lot of other people have been involved in this discussion and deep
in the analysis, but for the moment, I'll just speak for myself here.

I have, to the absolute best of my ability, taken every concern that
people have raised very seriously.  I have spelled out exactly where I
agree with them and where I disagree with them, I have tried to explain in
great detail precisely why I disagree with the concerns that I disagree
with, and I posted an entire formal security analysis to that effect.  In
the places where I was wrong, I have tried to say openly that I was wrong
and go back and correct the mistaken things that I said.

Having all of that quite significant work, which has substantially eaten
into a much-needed vacation and which has literally kept me up nights,
dismissed as ignoring concerns is....

Well, I guess I don't have words for that.  At least not ones that I want
to write on this mailing list.

You are entitled to believe that my analysis is wrong.  You are not
entitled to claim that I didn't do the work that I did, quite publicly and
openly, right here on this mailing list for everyone to see.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>