package: xserver-xfree86
severity: normal

Hello,

I think I did extensive search on Google Groups and Google
and it seems I am not the only one having encountered this
problem, yet I fail to see a solution to it anywhere.

When starting X on a Dell Optiplex with an onboard ATI Radeon
with any driver (ati, vesa, fb, vga) it simply does not work
out, I see this error for all tries except for VGA where it
gives me some screen I cannot do anything on and that looks
like it should never happen.

-->
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but
> <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
<--

Not fatal? Not sure, but it does not look like it then. It
takes between 2 and 4 seconds for my box to come back to the
normal console screen. I use xinit. I have gotten X to work
dozens of times, and do not know what the problem is here. I
use unstable.

Please, for two days now it does not work, not even VGA with
the lowest amount of colours. Any hints you have for me? Please.

Thanks,
Alexander