The XFree86 Project, Inc. <http://www.xfree86.org/>

> As I really think /etc is for configuration files and the xkb files
> are not configuration files  (unless you think everyone should configure
> its own keyboard - but then again I think that's why xmodmap is here)

You're wrong.  xmodmap is an underpowered tool for sophisticated keyboard
needs.  People can and do modify xkb definition files, and in fact I think
I have one or two open bug reports from long ago, asking that they be
conffiles.

Please direct further argument upstream.  I'm shipping the files where the
default Makefiles place them.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     It doesn't matter what you are doing,
Debian GNU/Linux               |     emacs is always overkill.