The short answer is yes.  You just upgrade everything except xserver-*.

----- Forwarded message from Carlos Carvalho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

From: Carlos Carvalho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Branden Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: info on 3.3.6 -> 4
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:59:29 -0200

Hi,

I'm considering going to xfree 4, but I need to know if I can upgrade
just a server where the clients run, which means the xlibs and fonts,
without upgrading the xserver on client machines. This is crucial
because if I need to upgrade the clients as well I have to upgrade
most machines in our department, and all at the same time...

Is there a readme somewhere on the transition that's not inside one of
the packages? If not, in which package is there one?

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Optimists believe we live in the best of
Debian GNU/Linux               |    all possible worlds.  Pessimists are