On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:44:32AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> I've seen a few comments by Branden Robinson which seem to indicate that
> some change has been made in the keyboard configuration (perhaps that's
> related to this).  I'm cc'ing him to see if he has any insight on this.

Yes; it's a long, complex story.

Basically, in 4.3.0.dfsg.1-5 we backported from XFree86 CVS a fix by Ivan
Pascal for problems with modifier keys when using multiple keyboard layouts
at once.

A kludge to restore the most grievously affected functionality was applied
in -6, but a real fix is still forthcoming.

The details are absurdly technical (and in part have to do with a lot of
clients using only core X protocol functions for querying the keyboard
despite this XKB era), and I don't have a full command of them myself, but
I think I know what to do to make some better headway.

I've begun consulting with Ivan Pascal on this subject, and he's been quite
helpful.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I am only good at complaining.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     You don't want me near your code.