From: R. Scott Perry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 2:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [IMail Forum] May Spam Statistics

Last month, we started to go through our spamtraps (E-mail addresses
designed to collect spam), to find out which spam tests were most effective
at catching spam.  The results are based on over 7,000 spams that were
received, all in May, 2002.  In May, our spamtraps received over 20% more
spam than in April.  May's volume is more than all of January and February
combined.

The following is a list of tests that we run against the E-mails arriving
at the spamtrap, and what percentage of the spam they caught (it will be
easier to read if you use a fixed-width font):

WEIGHT10          98.50%
WEIGHT20          90.58%
SNIFFER           80.29%
SPAMCOP           74.48%
XBL               56.18%
POSTFIXGATE       48.66%
NJABL             46.83%
REVDNS            46.78%
SPAMHEADERS       45.71%
HEUR10            34.55%
DSBLALL           33.17%
FREEMAIL          32.16%
MONKEYPROXIES     30.14%
DSBL              28.11%
OSRELAY           28.01%
NOABUSE           24.88%
ORDB              24.66%
BADHEADERS        24.48%
RSL               24.27%
OSPROXY           22.78%
DORKS             22.42%
ROUTING           20.66%
OSSRC             16.69%
NOPOSTMASTER      15.93%
DORKZTL           15.19%
HEUR9             14.17%
SPAMHAUS          12.99%
BADWHOIS          12.44%
DEWS              11.30%
BLARSBL           10.37%
IPWHOIS            9.27%
HEUR8              8.21%
OSSOFT             7.46%
FABELSOURCES       6.43%
BLITZEDHTTP        6.27%
SUMMIT             5.77%
BLITZEDSOCKS       5.64%
DSN                5.19%
KITHRUP            3.08%
MAILFROM           1.28%
PIGS               1.09%
NJABLDUL           1.05%
MONKEYFORMMAIL     0.70%
ABL                0.55%
BLITZEDWINGATE     0.51%
OSDUL              0.41%
COMPU              0.07%
CURRENT            0.01%

The WEIGHT10 and WEIGHT20 tests are just a weighting system that assigns a
weight to each E-mail, based on the spam tests that fail, so they don't
really count as spam tests by themselves.

The two best tests by far are SNIFFER ( http://www.sortmonster.com ) at
80.29% and SPAMCOP ( http://www.spamcop.net ) at 74.48%.

The spam tests are catching more spam on average, as evidenced by the
higher percentage of spam that the WEIGHT10 and WEIGHT20 tests catch.

More information on most of the various spam tests shown above can be found
at http://www.declude.com/junkmail/support/ip4r.htm .  The most recent 20
spams, and the tests they failed, can be found at
http://www.declude.com/spamtrap.htm .

Declude: Anti-virus, Anti-spam and Anti-hijacking solutions for
IMail.  http://www.declude.com