Imp about at the end of my rope. :) I have three gateways feeding my IMail
server which is running at 95% of its CPU capacity. I am running dual
Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz processes. I am currently hosting over 1500 domains with
around 13000 accounts not including alias's. I am filtering as much content
as I can with the gateways to take the load off of the server. I believe
that the mail on the gateways is backing up because the mail server can not
process the volume of email it receives fast enough. I am moving over 40,000
emails a day ranging in size of a few k to a few megs.
A P500 should be able to handle 40,000 E-mails per day, complete with virus and spam scanning. You've got enough of a server that it should be able to process 100,000's of E-mails/day.

The first thing to do is figure out where the bottleneck is. First, you should check to see if CPU usage is the issue -- to do that, you can use the Task Manager (if it is high, you can sort on the "CPU" column, to see the processes using the most CPU time).

If that doesn't explain the problem, you can also use the Task Manager to check to see how many Declude.exe and SMTP32.exe processes are in memory. If you often have lots of them in memory, there may be DNS problems.

What I would recommend is to get a debug log of a few E-mails. You can do this by changing the "LOGLEVEL LOW" line in the \IMail\Declude\global.cfg file to "LOGLEVEL DEBUG" until at least a few E-mails have gone through. Once that happens, you can switch back to "LOGLEVEL LOW", and E-mail me the log file as an attachment. I can check to see if there are any major delays.