> Admittedly,  we're  a small ISP and may not be representative of the
> entire  group,  but  I'm  not  convinced  we  would  even use such a
> product.

Okay,  makes  sense.  Many  admins  would  quite  sensibly not want to
surrender  control,  and  server  resources,  to a chaotic--not to say
ignorant--user base. And yet...

> Every  so  often I feel as though I'm a "censor" and I get an uneasy
> feeling.

...this  appears  to  be  a  very "Pro" sentiment regarding user-level
control! Let me try to figure you out. :))

> If  we  allow individuals to control their own destiny with antispam
> parameters,  wouldn't  we  also  have  to  allow them to control the
> kill.lst and domain processing rules??

I  don't  think  so. The reason one moves to per-user rules is because
some  users  can't  help getting involved with people who send through
compromised, blacklisted, mismanaged servers, et al. It's not that any
users want *unsolicited* mail, in my experience; some are just willing
to  accept  more  of  it  in  order to get more of their frustratingly
shady,  yet  admittedly  consensual,  correspondence. (I'm leaving out
those  who are unable to find l o n e l y h o u s e w i f e webcams on
their own and truly need spammers to feed them their leads.)

If  you  think  your KILL.LST is killing false positives, you've got a
problem;  I  believe  the  KILL.LST should be for sure things only, as
it's  not  weightable.  Likewise  for  domain-level  rules: though you
haven't  given examples of what you're doing in IMail as opposed to in
Declude,  I  don't  see the syllogism that leads to opening everything
up.

> I'm   often  tempted  to  delete  the  kill.lst,  erase  the  domain
> processing  rules,  stop  Declude  and  just let the floodgates wide
> open.  Then our customers might realize the impact of what we do for
> them.

This  sounds  like  a  very  dangerous  concept:  it'll surely instill
confidence  for  many  and  get you their thumbs-up, yet it's bound to
create fear in others and a sudden demand for user-level controls.

I'm  not getting your overall thrust (though it's perfectly reasonable
to  be  ambivalent!).  If  you  fear that you're a censor, which could
apply if your EULA does not sufficiently detail what people are paying
for,  you need to either change your published policies or change your
real  actions.  If  you  simply  want  to come clean about some strict
measures you're taking that aren't sufficiently explained, then create
a  revised  document  with  "minor  changes"  and  send  a unruffling,
innocent  message  to your users with a link to the URL. If you really
feel guilty and want to start offering those features to some, but not
without  user  permission,  well,  it's  time  to  get on the per-user
bandwagon.  And  if  you  want to stop taking those measures outright,
just do--and don't bother telling anyone, IMO.

> I'm not sure I'm ready for such a product and I certainly don't think our
> clients are.

Sounds  like  you're definitely unsure. There's a bunch of uncertainty
in your writing!

-Sandy