On 02/27/03 9:32am you wrote...

>>>I'll   trust   you   on   that,   and  apologize  for  the  roundhouse
>>>classification.  Yet  in your "several dozen cases where divorces were
>>>contemplated,  employee  terminations took place, even people who were
>>>sent  back  to  prison"  and  "kids  who have been grounded" examples,
>>>clearly  your  tool was used as spyware. And these are the cases which
>>>you brought under discussion.
>
>This is only in reference to a business environment.
>
>Would you say in this instance that the tools (firewall logging) used
>would be classified as "spyware"?

I would imagine that any product that logs any activity could be considered
"spyware" in certain circumstances. This includes IMail, Declude, Exchange, MS
Proxy, anything that logs activity. There is a huge difference between
products that log activity and "spyware". For example, there is a product that
takes low res screen shots of the computer and allows the parent, employer, or
other "supervisorial" person to playback everything that was done. Several of
CYBERsitter's competitors have built in keyboard logging that keeps a record
of everything typed.

Although I am sure this has cost us sales and review points, we have
consistently refused to incorporate similar functions into CYBERsitter. We
have been asked thousands of times to provide functions to capture email
messages, and capture instant messaging content. Certainly this is possible,
but we won't do that either although there are other products have this
capability. In my opinion, these are "spyware" products. Our primary purpose
in keeping logs is for support purposes. The user's purpose is probably
different, but here again, this is a common function of all "tools" that
manage or distribute content.

We also track users who come to our web sites. We know what pages they visit,
their browser versions, IP addresses, locale, referrers, and operating
systems. We, like tens of thousands of other online retailers, use this
information for improving traffic flow, determining user interest, and fine
tuning our marketing. So are we spying on our customers?

I can use the logs generated by IMail to spy on people as easily as any
spyware product. I can see who sent what to who, where and when. Does this
make it spyware? I don't think so. You can "hold" any message that meets
certain criteria with Declude and the administrator can read the entire
message. It doesn't have to be spam. Does this make Declude spyware too?

I think that an overly broad interpretation of what is "spyware" is foolish,
no matter how the data is used. Virtually every Internet related application
is designed to manage or regulate the distribution or reception of data in
some way. Tools that log activity are absolutely necessary. Tools that are
intentionally designed to invade a users privacy are quite another thing
entirely.