I like the fact that email in the overflow directory hasn't been scanned yet. What I'm trying to do is minimize CPU spikes. If you average out our CPU utilization it is around 20-30%, but frequently we'll spike to 100% for a bit when there are alot of emails being processed by Declude. So I want to put a limit on the number of emails that can be scanned by Declude at any given moment.

But I do not want to lower Imail's registry setting because I do not want to end up with alot of delayed emails due to Imail's queue architecture. It seems that the logical way to accomplish this is to keep MaxQueProc at 30 and have a separate limit used by Declude.

The problem here is that both Declude and the SMTP processes go hand-in-hand.

If you keep the MaxQueProc setting at 30, but there was also a way to tell Declude to wait until 20 processes were being used, then when the 21st E-mail arrived, Declude would just move it to the overflow directory, so you would end up with virtually the same results as if the MaxQueProc setting were at 20.

I think the problem is that you're trying to reduce the rate that E-mail is scanned, while still delivering it at the original rate.