I run a gateway configuration with clients changing their entire MX record to my
servers, which in turn point back to the client's server.  In this way, clients don't
need to change anything else on their end and everyone is happy.  The original email
server stays wide open and no one is the wiser, until:

A client changed their MX record away from me, then later back to me (they tried to go
it alone).  Since then, spammers have been sending some spam directly to their server,
ignoring the MX record and bypassing my servers/filters all together.  I wasn't to
worried about it until it happened again, a different clients ISP accidentally changed
the MX record, then switched it back - and spam started going around.

The fix is for the client to firewall block IPs that aren't mine but this doesn't feel
right.  Is there something about DNS/MX switching that might explain how a spammer was
able to target a clients IP address based soley on on/off/on record change?

Thanks
Dan