Hi Pat:

>> The fix is for the client to firewall block IPs that aren't mine but this
doesn't feel right. <<

Why not? If INDEED their IP address is not listed on any domain's MX record,
then this server should indeed only accept contacts from your IP range.  Any
other contact is either a SPAM, dictionary, virus or hack attack.  Not only
does it feel right - but it is recommend practice to block ANY ports (and/or
addresses) that are not used for legitimate purposes on a particular
machine.

As far as that server still being used..., yes, that is somewhat unusual.
However, possible explanations include that the machine is or once was an
open proxy, an open relay (and thus is traded between spammers as a known
friendly entity), or, that the client has OTHER domain names that may have
MX record pointing to this server.  Finally, without knowing the domain
names, we even have to allow for the fact, that not all authoritative name
servers have current and valid zone information.

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

H&M Systems Software, Inc.
600 East Crescent Avenue, Suite 203