We have a little less volume than you do, but it's amazing how concentrated the messages can be.  My personal account which has many domains pointed at it has not received a single copy of the virus, but one account on our server has been hit over 500 times in the last 48 hours.  We run Declude Virus, but it's only available to about half of the accounts, JunkMail though has caught everything that gets there.

Here's an important suggestion, although this is virus related (I'm not on that list).  I use the FProt engine, which is nice because most clients use McAfee or Norton on the desktop, however this virus was getting blocked by extension exceptions (scr, bat, pif, com and vbs) for over 36 hours before the virus definitions were updated (checked every 6 hours).  This isn't the first time that has happened either.  The antivirus companies are too slow IMO in getting their updates out as this has happened repeatedly in the last year.  I would therefore refuse a customer's request to allow any of these extensions through...but never has a customer refused such a thing, so I even turned notifications off for banned extensions.

This does tie back into processor utilization though, because before the definitions were available, the banned extension test was placing those E-mails in a hold (wish you could have them deleted).  The system seems though to scan the attachments first and then look for attachments to ban by extension, and that order could be reversed to save processing power.  I assume this because the virus detection is now catching these files subsequent to the definitions update instead of the banned extension test doing the dirty work.  Any file intensive operations though benefit greatly from a spanned array, and RAID 5 can be a better investment than processing power in my experience, and a simple mirror actually steals a good deal of processing from your server.  We run about 80 Web sites, 50 E-mail domains with virus and spam blocking, a SQL server with many connected sites, and DNS, but dual PIII 1 Ghz processors, a gig of memory and a 5 disk array keeps the average processor utilization at around 2% even during this outbreak, with peaks lower than 50% utilization.  I think I overbuilt the box :)

Matt

Colbeck, Andrew wrote:
Wow, I thought my increase in messages from 5,800 messages inbound to 10,000
was a lot.

BTW, my old mail server (PII @ 333 MHz, data on a SCSI2 mirror) with the
same volume would regularly run mid-morning (my peak volume) with a 30 to
100 messages in the overflow folder.

The new server (PIII @ 1.266, data on a SCSI3 mirror) had zero messages in
the overflow with exactly the same configuration (well, not true; I also put
in a body text filter to hold some of those annoyingly but misguided
messages from mailservers that are warning us of a virus we didn't send -
caught 1,300 of them by 10pm).

So last night I updated the Declude config to bring up our configuration
from 1.65 to 1.75i2 with most of the tests like PREWHITELIST ON,
SPAMDOMAINS, COMMENTS, SUBJECTSPACES, LONGSUBJECT, NONENGLISH.

I used as my guide, advice on the list and the page:

http://www.declude.com/relnotes.htm

Andrew 8)

p.s. Of everything that was new and/or discussed since the previous release,
SPAMDOMAINS was certainly the toughest nut.