Well, maybe that is why we are having problems. We are working with the
WHITELISTFILE option, not the global WHITELIST option. Perhaps we are
working under the wrong assumptions but we rather expected that the syntax
in the WHITELISTFILE would be the same as that for the WHITELIST option.

The WHITELISTFILE option lets Declude JunkMail know the name of a file that is used for whitelisting. That file is used similar to a sender blacklist, listing E-mail addresses you want to be whitelisted.

So, it appears that we simply need the address or partial address in the
file with no FROM included.

That is correct.

This apparently will also mean that we cannot
whitelist by subject such as is often used by mailing lists, incuding this
one. Is this correct?

That is correct. Whitelisting by subject can be accomplished with the WHITELIST option in the global.cfg file.

Yet, why on earth would the following then work:
FROM            "WebMaster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

when this does not:
FROM            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

That's because the same code is used for the WHITELISTFILE option that is used for the AUTOWHITELIST option, which reads web messaging address books. If an E-mail address appears in brackets, only the part between the brackets will be used.

Can you point me to a URL which has the syntax for the WHITELISTFILE,
preferably with some samples.

http://www.mail-archive.com. :)

That's the URL for new features that aren't yet in the manual yet.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.