We only white list after emailing the user and the mail admin. It is in
their best interest to fix the RDNS and HELO bogus issues.

Attached is the email I send to them.

Why should I slow the processing of email on our server for a few ignorant
admins. I also send an automated email to all users on our server telling
them what email has been held and giving them the option to recover the
mesages. In sending the automated email I no longer have to go through the
held emails, the users do it.

I get about 1/3 of the admins thanking me for telling them of their config
issues, 1/3 who think they have it configured that way for security reasons,
and 1/3 who do not even reply.

Kevin Bilbee

Hi, I am Kevin Bilbee the Network Administrator at Standard Abrasives.

We are having some issues receiving email from your mail server. I would appreciate it
if you could help me out. Your mail server is missing a few DNS entries that are
required to validate that email is coming from your server and not someone pretending
to be you. About 60% of the mail coming into our server is unsolicited (SPAM) so being
able to identify legitimate email is important to us. These items are outlined below.

reverse DNS entry.
This is the link to the Internet Engineering Task Force site and the RFC for Common
DNS Operational and Configuration Errors section 2.1. It discusses DNS and common
configuration errors pertaining to mail servers.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt?number=1912

If you could forward this to your IT department or send me contact information for
them, I would appreciate it.

Mail from your server is not lost, it is delayed 1 day while waiting for review. If it
is found to not be spam, the recipient has the option to recover the message. If they
do not recover it in 14 days, it is purged from the system.

I understand that mail from your server is not spam and is legitimate business email.
But our spam filter cannot make that determination without the above fixes, so human
intervention is involved to complete delivery to the final recipient.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter,
Kevin Bilbee
Network Administrator
Standard Abrasives, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]