John,

Thanks for the info.  It appears that if this tool is to be used in a high volume environment, then the process of validating will need to be very efficient.  I'm guessing that AD is pretty quick to query, similar to both LDAP and DNS.  Access on the other hand is something that is currently causing me some issues in my hosting environment where someone has an ecommerce store that has outgrown their Access solution despite it only being a moderately trafficked site and the database only being 15 MB.  Just a simple page load on that site will hit almost 100% of dual PIII 1 GHz processors.  That will have to change :)

I've been digging into this and it's apparent that there is some sort of MS SMTP SDK or resources provided so that a different application could be designed, possibly one that took a list from something as simple as a text file and loaded it into memory for use like this.  It might not even be all that hard to accomplish.  I've also found that you can in fact control the outgoing port on MS SMTP in the MetaBase, which means that you could have this sit on the same server as an IMail Gateway running on something besides port 25.  Looks like there might be a lot of possibilities here in using this as a pre-filter.

Naturally though, things would be a whole lot easier if IMail could just simply be configured so that it doesn't take over every IP on the server.  Maybe we should all start a letter writing campaign to Ipswitch asking that they do this.  It would seem to be a simple enough change.

Matt

John Tolmachoff (Lists) wrote:
The AD schema can be extended to include custom fields and such. One such
item that comes to mind is contacts, which are not users but rather
addressable objects in AD. Since AD is a database, you would not create a
database within a database, but rather extend the schema of the database.

However, warning. Extending and/or changing the schema is permanent and must
be thoroughly tested to ensure there are no repercussions.

For gateway domains not in AD, you might want to consider, if possible, a
separate LDAP querry to a simple Access database.

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You