From: "Matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] OT: Windows 2000 Performance Monitor

Darin and Darrell,

Thanks to both of you for the pointers.  Certainly that saved me some time.

I did manage to capture all of the process information by selecting "all
instances" for the Process % Processor Time.  Using System Monitor it
was easy to set up graphs from the logs showing this info, including all
numbered instances.  The graphs though suck.  The averages seem to help
a bit more.

One piece of data that I seem to be missing is F-Prot's usage though.
Any idea what that shows up as?  I'm looking to compare that to avgscan.exe.

Also, do you guys (or anyone else) have an idea about how disk load
times might be reflected as far as utilization goes?  I have over 60
custom filters that get loaded for almost every message, though they
only get run about 60%-70% of the time on average.  I'm thinking that my
excessive filter use might be an important component of my processor
peaks, peaks that I need to better control because of my current mixed
environment with hosting.  Sniffer for instance reports very low
utilization as a process, however loading the rulebase according to Pete
represents about 90% of the time to process a message, but it doesn't
appear to be reflected in my stats as utilization except when tracking
the overall processor usage.

Regardless of the pieces that are still lacking, I was definitely able
to get a better grasp on some other things.

Thanks,

Matt

Darin Cox wrote:

>Hi Matt,
>
>As Darrell pointed out, short-lived processes are problematic to monitor as
>it's difficult to get a continuous aggregate read for a particular type of
>process.
>
>If you're just looking for  more general statistics on processor, IO,
>storage, RAM, etc. it works quite well to log it to a SQL Server for
>trending.  We use the perfcheck.dll that came with either W2K Resource Kit
>or Support Tools and call it from a SQL job to loop through defined
counters
>from one table every few minutes and store the sampled value in another.
>Currently we just clear it out when it gets too big, but have been
>considering aggregating to report tables for daily, weekly, and/or monthly
>usage trends.
>
>You can go hog wild with these things, but we've found a few simple
counters
>are enough and give us the necessary info to project hardware needs.
>
>Darin.

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/

[This E-mail virus scanned by 4C Web]