From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 06:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] DNS Report mail server failure

Interesting.  ORF gives you the option to disconnect and I'm wondering if it is wise despite the 20 year old stipulation in the RFC:
Close SMTP connection when blocking
The Open Relay Filter Enterprise Edition blocks the spam when the remote server tries to specify the message recipient(s). ORF does blocking with sending negative responses to protocol commands, e.g. does not accept the mail sender or the mail recipient(s). If the mail sender or the recipient(s) are not accepted, the remote server should not continue with sending the message body. There are some "aggressive" servers however which do send the message even if they receive negative response. Because of this, some spam mails can still get through.
This is only a backup MX and it's only being used to verify the recipients are valid so there's no chance of it allowing spam to pass through, though it might result in spam being accepted to invalid addresses if I'm reading it properly.  I was under the impression though that things like spamware on zombies might send the data anyway, and this would be a way to save bandwidth and processing power.

I guess what I'm asking is should I be closing the connection on a failure for the sake of blocking spam, or keeping it open for the sake of being RFC compliant?  I would imagine that this will be something that Declude might want to support when it comes time to break away from IMail :)

Thanks,

Matt

R. Scott Perry wrote:

I just came across an issue where DNS Report was giving me a failure for the following:

FAIL
Connect to mail servers
ERROR: I could not connect to one or more of your mailservers: mx2.mailpure.com: Connection closed before I received all my data (state 8). Your mailserver disconnected before it was done! This may be the result of a non-RFC-compliant mailserver or anti-spam program.

The server was fine, but it wasn't accepting a domain literal (which was warned).  When I configured Vamsoft's ORF on the secondary to accept domain literals, both that warning and the above failure disappeared.

I just thought I would point this out to you in the event that this behavior was unintentional.  I'll remove the domain literal support for the next hour so you can see the failure plus the warning.

Actually, the problem is that it is/was disconnecting the TCP/IP session after the E-mail to the domain literal was sent.  That's the part that isn't allowed, and causes the DNS report to stop the testing.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.

This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/