From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of R. Scott Perry
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 5:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] [OT] .local domains

>As I was lurking on this list I noticed a thread "Question about
>Exchange2Aliases" where .local was suggested as an example TLD.

.local should not be used.

RFC2606 specifies that aside from TLDs that have already been allocated (.com, .net,
.museum, .info, .uk, etc.), it is also OK to use .test, .example, .invalid, and
.localhost.  Also, example.com/example.net/example.org are OK to use.

>If you have Mac OS X boxes on your network and you want to have them as
>members of a Microsoft Active Directory Domain then you cannot use
>.local as this extension is used by some OS X service (Rendezvous
>discovery service I believe).  The TLD ".lan" seems to work and also
>connotes a "local" area network.  We use .lan for our local DNS
>services required for Active Directory.  This allows us to manage our
>local DNS zone "commarts.lan"
>without affecting our internet DNS records (on our ISP's DNS servers).

FYI, both ".local" and ".lan" are invalid (and could cause problems now or in the
future).  If they leak (appearing in E-mail headers, for example), there could be
problems.  Or, if a TLD you choose becomes allocated in the future, you're going to
encounter big problems.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver
vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.

This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To unsubscribe, just send an
E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives
can be found at http://www.mail-archive.com.