On Wednesday, September 8, 2004, 11:13:18 AM, Harry wrote:

HV> I am testing sniffer right now and wonder if I need to run all the other
HV> tests along side it.

Well, you can probably get by without the other tests, but since
you have Declude it would be MUCH better if you keep the other tests
in place. Declude's strength is that it allows you to aggregate a
variety of tests for greater accuracy. Sniffer is very, very good, but
you will certainly see some benefit by using it along with other
tests.

HV> I am trying to reduce my daily workload of analyzing the "spamtrap" and hope
HV> that sniffer and surbl will do this.

Sniffer is perfect for that - particularly if you share your spamtrap
data with us. Put another way, if you allow us to use your spamtrap
then we will be taking over this work for you. All we need is POP3
account information and some details on how your spamtrap was formed
so that we can properly classify it in our SPHUD (Spam Processing Heads Up
Display).

HV> Do I even need surbl?

Probably not. One of the AI elements in our robots crossreferences
incoming spamtrap data with SURBL and other tests. More often than not
we have the domain tagged before we see it in SURBL, and if we don't
we grab it quickly.

HV> Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend reviewing the Spam Test Quality Analysis:

<http://www2.spamchk.com/public.html>

You can use this to help tune your Declude configuration. I recommend
applying the forumula:

W = (a^2)100

Where (W) is the individual test weight (magnitude) based on test
accuracy and (a) is the accuracy measured in the analysis (SA =
spam-test accuracy, HA = ham-test accuracy). [ Regarding (magnitude),
ham tests generate negative weights and spam tests generate positive
weights. W will always be a positive value, so if you use an HA value
for (a) then you will want to apply a negative W as your weight in
Declude. ]

For example,

  SNIFFER SA = 0.95, so W = ((0.95)^2)*100 = 90.25, Weight = 90.

  FIVETEN-SRC SA = 0.59, so W = ((0.59)^2)*100 = 34.81, Weight = 35.

  NOLEGITCONTENT HA=0.38, so
    W = ((0.38)^2)*100 = 14.44, Weight = -14

    -- This test is measured when the test does not fail, so -14
       must go in second weight column, not the first.

If you use this analysis you should have your "hold weight" at or
about 100. If you set your hold weight lower than 100, you will
capture more spam at the risk of more false positives. If you set your
hold weight higher than 100 you will have fewer false positives and
more spam.

!! This is research in progress - these formulas appear to work very
well in preliminary testing. If you are already happy with your
weighting system then you should probably stick with that until this
theory has been tested further. !!

We are developing a utility to do this work automatically.
In the mean time, you can go through your test weights manually.
You shouldn't have to do this frequently.

Hope this helps,
_M