Andrew,

You are thinking of the ROUTING test. That test shouldn't be used at all with servers located outside of the US.

Let me try to explain the issue that Markus is seeing here. The COUNTRIES variable is something that is generated from the use of the all_list.dat file. This generates the variable COUNTRY and COUNTRIES. These variables contain lists of countries by their two letter code, with COUNTRY being the connecting server and COUNTRIES being the full list separated by spaces I believe.

The %COUNTRYCHAIN% variable that is being used in the headers however is not exactly the same, and I have a feeling that it might be generated by data that is different from that contained in the all_list.dat, and if so, that would explain the issue. One could easily verify this by removing the all_list.dat and checking to see if the %COUNTRYCHAIN% variable was still populated in the headers. There is also the possibility that the header parsing is different for COUNTRIES/COUNTRY and %COUNTRYCHAIN%, so in this case COUNTRIES might be picking up a hop that %COUNTRYCHAIN% isn't. There is also of course a possibility of a bug or maybe an ordering issue. The STARTSWITH filter came along way after COUNTRIES was introduced, and Scott might not have bothered to order them properly since they couldn't be filtered with anything but CONTAINS at that time. It would be nice for someone from Declude to confirm the order and format of the COUNTRIES variable. ENDSWITH might well be the proper way to filter this for the first country in the chain.

Unfortunately the only place that any of these things is documented is in the release notes. None of it appears in the manual, so I'm not even sure if %COUNTRYCHAIN% uses all_list.dat or not.

Markus, if you were to share the full headers of this message, that would also help determine the source of the issue.

Another note...since many zombie spammers forge headers prior to the connecting received header, it isn't always useful to know which country was first, but I don't assume to know exactly what you are doing with your filter so it may in fact be useful. The data also isn't always complete or accurate, and due to the way that IP space is used, it could never be perfectly accurate.

Matt

Colbeck, Andrew wrote:

Markus, my foggy memory tells me that Country-Chain was designed to be
US-centric, and is designed to trigger on suspicious routing for, say,
"US -> Brazil -> US".

It wasn't designed to figure out the destination country and work
backwards, nor was it designed to merely count the number of countries
in the chain.

If you get a better answer directly from Declude Support, please give us
some feedback here.

Andrew 8)

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Markus Gufler Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:20 AM To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Country-Chain filtering

The testfile for COMBO-COUNTRY-US contains only one single line: COUNTRIES 0 STARTSWITH us

Now the question is, how can this Country-Chain fail this test?

We've in use v1.82 with Imail.
Would it be possible to bether explain the country chain as it's not
easy to send arround different test messages having all possible
combinations of country chains? Whats the first entry, whats the last?
What's the internal country chain, as we have to filter for us, it, fr,
... And not "UNITED STATES", "ITALY" or "FRANCE". Has this internal a
different order (inversed)?

Markus

unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type
"unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found at
http://www.mail-archive.com.

-- ===================================================== MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro. http://www.mailpure.com/software/ =====================================================