Bill,

The issue is that MS SMTP has a habit of sending back a 552 error while the DATA transfer is still going on, and the sending server doesn't notice the error and then just requeues the message.  I did some extensive research into this behavior and found that this was in fact what was going on.  See the following thread for the issue:

    http://www.mail-archive.com/declude.junkmail@declude.com/msg25017.html

I then noticed yesterday a different form of behavior, at least in the way that it was logged.  Before MS SMTP was logging a BDAT with 552 error when the limit was reached even though the transfer wasn't BDAT.  Essentially the logging was not reflective of what was really going on.  Yesterday I noticed that the BDAT/552 logging stuff wasn't going on anymore, instead it was logging QUIT after the 20 MB limit and then a mysterious 25 minute gap and a timeout:
2005-08-04 01:42:58 216.224.43.19 mail.example.com SMTPSVC1 VALHALLA 66.109.52.201 0 HELO - +mail.example.com 250 0 44 32 0 SMTP - -
2005-08-04 01:43:09 216.224.43.19 mail.example.com SMTPSVC1 VALHALLA 66.109.52.201 0 MAIL - +FROM:<someone@example.com> 250 0 58 45 0 SMTP - -
2005-08-04 01:43:09 216.224.43.19 mail.example.com SMTPSVC1 VALHALLA 66.109.52.201 0 RCPT - +TO:<recipient@example.com> 250 0 36 33 0 SMTP - -
---- 20 MB of data transfered and then MS SMTP quits the reception of the data ---
2005-08-04 01:45:59 216.224.43.19 mail.
example.com SMTPSVC1 VALHALLA 66.109.52.201 0 QUIT - mail.example.com 240 213343 105 4 169734 SMTP - -
--- Strange 25 minute gap, no clue ---
2005-08-04 02:11:27 216.224.43.19 - SMTPSVC1 VALHALLA 66.109.52.201 0 TIMEOUT - - 121 321642712 220 4 116203 SMTP - -
2005-08-04 02:11:27 216.224.43.19 - SMTPSVC1 VALHALLA 66.109.52.201 0 QUIT - - 240 116203 220 4 116203 SMTP - -
If you are wondering what this behavior does when you have 4 messages stuck in this redelivery loop, attached is a chart of my incoming bandwidth from Tuesday and then Wednesday shown in hourly averages.

Based on my observations, there are terrible issues with messages that are too large when HELO is used with MS SMTP.  I have fixed this by removing the limit from MS SMTP and if I want to apply one, I will do it with IMail.  It turns out that places like Yahoo are allowing attachments up to 40 MB in size and not supporting ESMTP/EHLO, and unfortunately people are using it to send huge attachments.

Matt

Bill Landry wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Matt
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Spam box

One other note to add to this.

ORF plugs-into MS SMTP.  I have unfortunately found that MS SMTP doesn't appear to handle rejecting oversized attachments when sent with HELO (not EHLO).  When messages don't get rejected properly, they are sent over and over again until they time out.  I have a 20 MB limit currently, but I found yesterday that there were at least 4 messages being sent over and over and over again, all in excess of 20 MB.  That's a lot of bandwidth, in fact these four or so messages chewed up about 4 times my normal bandwidth utilization.  I also noted that this issue occurred with another server using the same version of MS SMTP, and others too of course.

This issue with MS SMTP is quite serious as it requires manual intervention and lots of time to identify such messages, and therefore it is also one of the reasons why I am moving to Postfix.

This would be true of any mail server.  If the remote server does not announce the size of the message, which is only supported via ESMTP, then the receiving mail server must receive the message up to the set limit before it can reject the delivery.

Bill

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/

GIF image