From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 9:54 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] SmarterMail vs iMail

I have actually moved my hosted E-mail over to SmarterMail despite my displeasure with the lack of ability to block non-authenticated messages and the way that they handled the answers.  I came to the conclusion that SmarterMail just wasn't very well set up to handle the deluge of requests from their customers (or didn't respond appropriately), but other companies in this space will mostly not do a very good job themselves.  For me, since I am not doing any Declude stuff on SmarterMail, and I don't have a ton of hosted E-mail business, I figured that I could tolerate the shortcomings for a period of time and so I took the leap.  Having scanning and hosted E-mail on the same server presented bigger challenges for me and I need to rectify them for QOS reasons (scanning can be bursty).

SmarterMail 2.6 is definitely a 'green' product, though certainly not as green as it's predecessors.  I would imagine that it all depends on one's specific requirements, and how willing they might be to wait for a new version of SmarterMail that should address some of the issues.  3.0 is rumored to start development at some point in the near future.

After moving over to SmarterMail for hosted E-mail, I started taking a list of it's shortcomings, both in comparison to IMail, and also generically (some of which might also be shortcomings of IMail).  If I was using Declude on my SmarterMail box, the list would be different.  There is one big issue for me with Declude and SmarterMail being that it has no capability for WHITELIST AUTH, but the value of this will be different for every administrator.  So anyway, here's a list of things that I have found and that people should watch out for if they matter to them:
1) Mailbox sizes can't be locked down.  Domain admins can override the default value set by the system administrator, so in effect there is no control over what your domain admins might set for mail box sizes.

2) Built-in antispam whitelists are based on the Mail From address matching a local user instead of something that checks to see if it was authenticated.  I consider this to be a beginner's error in spam blocking technique and ultimately this was one of the things that prevented me from constructing a work-around for restricting E-mail to only what was authenticated or came from my scanning server.

3) Built-in antispam will count any A record returned from a blacklist query as a positive hit regardless of the value returned.

4) No capability for Program Aliases.

5) Autoresponder can't be removed from the webmail interface.  I don't allow autoresponders from the server due to looping and backscatter issues, and I could only break the functionality and change the label to show that it was disabled.  This has already resulted in customers asking me to re-enable it.  On IMail I was able to remove the option entirely.

6) Catch-all (nobody) addresses can't be disabled from the domain administrator's interface.  I think we all know how bad catch-all's are these days, and while the system admin's interface allows you to disable it, it still is functional, or at least the interface to it is.

7) Uses a proprietary mailbox format.  Mailbox files are a mix of binary and ASCII data.  This limits options when editing a mailbox manually, and it also presents challenges for migrating to other systems from SmarterMail.  I'm not sure to this day how to approach editing a mailbox in the same ways that I did on IMail.

8) IMail import utility produces inconsistent config files in comparison to the ones generated when adding domains directly through SmarterMail.  This makes doing global search and replace operations on the XML to fix issues following the import a delicate operation.

9) Logging default path is always appended with "\log".  Using a default path of "D:\" will result in logs being saved in "D:\log".

10) No capability to track the last login date for a user's account.

11) No tool for deleting messages by date similar to IMail's immsgexp.exe.  This isn't as big of a deal since mailbox files are split into different files based on the date so scripting the process isn't that difficult, but it's not built-in.

12) Webmal doesn't display message list in the same screen as the message content.  This is an important feature if you have a lot of E-mail in an account that you intend to review in webmail as you have to either just use the Next button or go back to the summary list after each message view.  This is a major issue for me in an otherwise nice webmail interface.  It makes spam review in SmarterMail's Web interface completely impracticable.

13) Lacks a 'chaining' mechanism similar to IMail where the SMTP service will call apps like Declude prior to handing things off to the queue.  SmarterMail relies on a configurable delay and a call to an executable, but it doesn't manage the process.  This delay is the same for every message and so you must for instance wait for test messages to pass through the system, and it can present problems for servers that are overloaded to the extent that the executable can't finish in time for the message to be picked up by the queue.  I would imagine that Declude has been creative in addressing this issue for their own purposes.

14) Webmail skinning system has a bug that won't update skins if you have moved the webmail directory to a location other than the default.

15) Most parts of the webmail interface can't be modified for format due to their reliance on DLL's to serve the vast majority of the interface.  Modifications are primarily limited to icons, text labels, font sizes and colors.

16) No sub-mailbox functionality.  In IMail you could deliver E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and the message would be delivered to the "somefolder" folder within [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s account (if you allowed this behavior in IMail Admin).  IMail also allowed you to set up your E-mail client to check sub-folders without checking the entire account.

17) No auto-suspend functionality for failed logins on either the webmail interface or SMTP.  This is a security issue that needs to be addressed otherwise servers are wide open for brute force attacks.  IMail lacks the SMTP protections, but does have this capability for webmail.

18) Sent folder in webmail sorts by the From address (same as the account that is logged in) instead of the To address.

This is definitely not a complete list and it was written from one person's perspective.  There are reportedly many shortcomings in their listserv functionality that I have only started to dive into, but they are apparently aware of those.

SmarterMail is however a very, very lean and seemingly stable mail server.  I have about 400 accounts hosted on it and it hardly registers any load.  There is no scanning on the server however, and my webmail load is light as almost everyone uses SMTP.  Attached is a graph from today showing the CPU load on my server with one minute samples.  Note that the peaks at around 1 a.m. and 1 p.m. are from backup software, otherwise it is almost dead silent.  This is a single 3.06 GHz Xeon with 1 GB of memory and 4 x 15,000 RPM SCSI drives in RAID 5 configuration on a zero-channel Adaptec RAID card.

The bottom line for me is that I expect some of the rough edges to get solved, though I don't expect that to happen without effort from users like us telling them that we desire certain things be changed or added.  I plan to share my list with them eventually.  In the mean time, for my needs, it is just good enough.