I encountered a new wrinkle in the problem.  Since I am running with AVAFTERJM,
there was a copy of Netsky.J that was identified as spam, but it came through
anyway since Declude was unable to move the file to hold.

I have my Command timeout and Command-line timeout both set to 300 as
recommended by Declude support.

I got the following advice from SmarterTools support:

>  If Declude thinks that SmarterMail is acting on the emails too early, then
> you may wish to
>  increase the Delivery Delay (the time SmarterMail waits for 3rd party apps
> to do what they
>  do) from Declude's recommended setting of 1 second to our recommended
> setting of 20-30
>  seconds.

None of these settings changes stopped the problem.  For now I guess I'll reset
AVAFTERJM to OFF until I can find an answer to this.