Stay away from  Open-E -  it’s closed and proprietary as far as expandability.

It’s just Linux in Flash module with a GUI.  They charge extra to use a hardware raid controller, faster NICs, and nickel and dime other options too.  It only supports a limited choice of approved hardware.

If you want Linux, just use Linux.  Any linux pro can setup Linux and Samba in under half an hour.

If you want a cute Linux appliance, you might consider the new Intel SS4000.  Has falconstor OEM Linux software in flash and includes 4 SATA hot-swap drives.  But only runs as a NAS , is not AD integrated and is in a minitower form factor versus rackmount.  Aimed at the home market but pricier than Buffalo, Iomega, and the other home NAS units.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 3:22 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] OT: Storage Server (NAS)

Kevin,

If there was any way to talk the boss out of Windows for this, I would definitely consider Open-E.  It's less than $1,000 for the Enterprise version of their latest product.  It also has the advantage of running completely off of flash, leaving the hard drives to just doing storage, and should be more reliable.  It can be integrated with AD.  Unless you are running Windows Storage Server and utilize some proprietary feature, Open-E would be transparent to end-users.

    http://www.open-e.com/nasxsr/network_attached_storage/NAS-XSR_comp_chart.php?lang=en

Matt

Kevin Bilbee wrote:

That is correct. If we go with SuperMicro we will purchase Windows Standard from the open license program.

Kevin Bilbee