The only issue here is that many systems will cache beyond what you set things at.  The standard cache time for an A record is only one hour, but large ISP's will override the cache settings and set the TTL's as high as 48 hours (such as Earthlink).  So it wouldn't be perfect, but it would probably work decently as a fail-over.  Note that this setup won't do hardly anything as far as load balancing goes since primary should always be hit first unless there is an issue (connectivity or RFC compliance).

Matt

Dave Doherty wrote:
A potential scenario:

Two web servers with DNS, located in different data centers on different networks. Each DNS server resolves the domain name only to its local IP. Params in the zone files' SOAs are set to very short expire times (minutes, perhaps). The registrar record lists the two DNS servers.

Such a config would be unusual because the zone files would contain different information, but a failure of either server or either data center would send all traffic to the other server, since the only working DNS server would resolve to the only working web server.

It seems to me that this would work, but I've never tried it. What do you DNS gurus think about the idea?

-Dave Doherty
 Skywaves, Inc.